Questions: Spectrum Analyzer

In here we'll be posting about Youritronics products

Questions: Spectrum Analyzer

Postby Twistedpair » Sun 31 Jan , 2010 1:50 am

Hello Everyone. I'm a new user on this forum. I'm impressd with the Analyzer and I would like to have one but I have a few pre-purchase questions. 1) What type of input connections are allowed to the Analyzer (Direct to speaker, Headphones out of computer soundcard, Stereo Amplifier out Etc) ? 2) Is the Analyzer a stand-alone unit that does not require a computer or external hardware, other than the sound/input source, etc ? 3) Is the microcontroller pre-programmed and ready for use when received, assembled or un-assembled ? 4) Does anyone have pictures of the assembled Version 2 Analyzer ? Thanks for your help, Mike in the USA....
Twistedpair

Re: Questions: Spectrum Analyzer

Postby Florin » Sun 31 Jan , 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Mike,

1. input signal level accepted from 200mV to 4V which means your iPod, PC/Notebook average audio card, pre-amp, etc.
2. the analyzer is stand-alone, it needs just power & audio signal
3. the microcontroller is pre-programmed in both assembled and unassembled versions (unassembled version does not receive warranty)
4. I'm attaching some pictures of V2 in this post. More pictures on their way and a new youtube HD video. I just need to get some time to edit it before uploading.

I already have a new video on youtube about the assembly process of V2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-xmB1YDqU

I'm also attaching the user guide for V2 where you can find more info.
Audio Spectrum Analyzer - User Guide.pdf
(380.72 KiB) Downloaded 418 times

Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know about the spectrum analyzer.

Florin

DSC05019.JPG

20_Band_Audio_Spectrum_Analyzer_(assembled).JPG
checkout the Youritronics shop at http://www.youritronics.com/shop
Florin

Postby Twistedpair » Sun 31 Jan , 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Florin. How can I check the voltage output of the various types of hardware that I possibly might use with your fantastic analyzer ? Will my Digital Volt Meter be accurate enough? I'm sure that my Laptop sound card will fall within the working parameters of the analyzer but I would like to check my other types of audio hardware to make sure that they are within specs for the analyzer.

Thanks for your help, Mike....
Twistedpair

Postby Florin » Sun 31 Jan , 2010 10:56 pm

A multimeter is not capable of accurately measuring the output level of audio devices, but you can connect the spectrum analyzer to pretty much everything you have around the house. Remember it also has pot so you can adjust the input level if it's higher or lower then normal. Just to be sure, post a list of the devices you would like to connect the kit to and I'll check every one to see if it's compatible.

Florin
Florin

Postby Twistedpair » Sun 31 Jan , 2010 11:47 pm

Ok.... Before you do all that research regarding my other Hardware, I'll see If I can find the owners manuals and look over the specs there. One other Question for you. Is there anyway to remove the splash screen on the Display during the inital startup, or any other time ? I just want to turn on the Analyzer and start using with no messages displayed.

Thanks once again for your help Florin....

PS: Cool Videos on YOUTUBE....Keep them coming....
Twistedpair

Postby Florin » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 10:35 am

I can remove or customize the start-up message for an extra $10. I need to add this feature to the online shop, so if you want this option
don't place your order on the shop yet.

later edit: I added the option to the online shop. On the product page you can select whether or not to remove/customize the start-up message. And when you checkout you can enter the message up to 20 characters
inside the "Special Instructions or Comments About Your Order" textbox.

Florin
Florin

Postby Twistedpair » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 1:00 pm

That's a good option Florin. Also after doing some research regarding my other audio hardware, It appears that line level out is what the Analyzer wants for a Signal in, instead of Speaker level signals, although a direct connection to the speaker when using a low powered soundcard or amplifier might be ok because of the adjustable signal in Pot located on the Motherboard. Am I on the right track of thinking in regard to the Signal in to the Analyzer ?

Thank you for your help....

Mike....
Twistedpair

Postby Florin » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 2:00 pm

Usually the spectrum analyzer should be connect to a line out level right from a sound-card or pre-amp. If you still insists on connecting it to a speaker level signal, the level should fall within the limits of the accepted input level which is kind of hard to track because speaker level can go up and down by couple of volts, so that type of connection is not recommended unless you know what you are doing.

Florin
Florin

Postby Twistedpair » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 5:26 pm

Ok, so Line Level is the perferred method into the Analyzer, But in the case where no line Out was availble from the Audio source (Soundcard/Home stereo Headphones out jack or Direct connection to speakers Etc), it appears that a Signal Level Attenuator would be required. 1) Would that be a true statement ? If true, would a attenuator with the Signal Attenuation of 20db, Input Impedance of 10K and a Output Impedance of 1K, meet the input requirments of the Analyzer ? These specifications would of coarse be limited to nothing more than 50 watts RMS.

Also, I would like to make parallel connection to the Line level inputs of the Analyzer so as to allow Lines out to my Audio amplifier Monitor Lines in. 2) Would paralleling to the Analyzers Lines in, affect it's operation ?

Thanks again, Mike....
Twistedpair

Postby Florin » Mon 01 Feb , 2010 11:07 pm

I don't see the point of using a level attenuator because good line out signal can be found on almost every gadget/device. You just split that before sending it to your speakers/amplifier and you're set.

Florin
Florin

Next

Return to Youritronics Products