This is a very accessible project for beginners. If you are thinking into starting with microcontrollers, this is better than a blinking LED. Basically we have a 3-digit 7 segment display showing data from a thermistor, and all this is controller by a PIC16F684. The circuit will tell the temperature between 0 and 140 farenheit. This project is actually quite easy to build; the hardest part is calibrating the thermistor… If you need more info on the project visits the authors page using the links bellow.
- 1 x PIC16f684 microcontroller
- 1 x 14 pin IC socket (so the PIC can be removed to reprogram)
- 1 x Thermistor (see below)
- 3 x 2N3906 PNP transistors
- 1 x .01mF capacitor (any kind)
- 10 x 100ohm 1/4watt resistors
- 1 x 3-digit 7 segment display
- 1 x 3 AAA battery holder with switch.
- 1 x PCB breadboard
- etching chemicals to make board etc.
PIC16F684 Based Digital Thermometer: